The end of 2012 is finally here. I haven’t been active on the blog, so many of you aren’t aware of this year’s challenges. Here’s a summary of the biggies:
- fractured three toes in February
- depression’s back in May
- car problems in July – fun because it was during my vacation /sarcasm
- ketoacidosis at the end of August, hospitalized for a week – Happy Birthday to me!
- audited by Canada Revenue Service – apparently I don’t live in the arctic
- stuck in DC during Hurricane Sandy – not terrible, but did miss my second chance to get to Banff
- returned to Iqaluit just in time to fall and break my wrist
- not to mention that I’ve been sick off and on all year
Anyhow, I’m not here to complain. I’m here to say my goodbyes to 2012. It’s been swell. Good riddance; don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
Now, most of you know I don’t do resolutions. But I do want to make a point of discussing my hopes for the year. I’ve got to get ready for the end of the
world year party I’ll be attending in a few hours, so I’ll make it quick.
- Writing. There was a good four-month period last year where most of my free time was consumed with writing. Most of you haven’t read that stuff, and I’m completely fine with that. But it kept me sane and it introduced me to some fantastic people in the process. I want to get back to more writing. I need to do it. Some people have said that I’m good at it. Frankly, I like to do things that I’m good at. So I hope to feel more inspired to keep it up.
- Healthy living. Before breaking my wrist at the beginning of November, I was eating healthier and exercising more. From about March until October, I had lost about forty pounds. That’s pretty amazing for me. But since the accident, I haven’t been diligent about any of it. I’d say I’ve fallen off the wagon, but that would require a lot of walking to keep up; getting on the wagon seems more conducive to a lazy lifestyle, doesn’t it? I’ve all but stopped going to the gym and it’s tough for me to prepare what I’m wanting to eat with this gimpy wrist of mine. But since my wrist is getting stronger, that’s going to change. I’ve recently become a board member for Atii Fitness (the gym I’ve been a member of for over a year), and that means I also plan to get back on track with my exercising. And I plan to continue with that healthy lifestyle.
- Travel. I got a taste of travel this year, and I’d like to do more of it. I’m a geographer, for crying out loud. I need to see more of the world. There are inexpensive ways to do it – I just need to find out what they are.
- Balance. Sometimes I get a little too focused on others. Sometimes I get a little too focused on myself. This year, I desire balance.
- No broken bones or hospital visits. Self explanatory.
- Oh, and maybe a tattoo. But we’ll see.
Thanks for coming back to this blog on the rare occasions where I see fit to grace its presence with a post. I appreciate hearing from my blends and blikes even if it doesn’t seem like it. I miss you guys…maybe that writing bug will bring me back here, huh?
Happy New Year everyone. Let’s hope 2013 is a good year for everyone!